View Single Post
Old 18 February 2020, 09:50   #15
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Pretty normal for English mags back then. But in Germany, for some unknown reason, the game was hyped too. Even back in 1990 i thought it was a stinker. Not a chance against the way earlier released Hybris and the competing Battle Squadron.
Hybris and Battle Squadron are decent games, but it does not mean Xenon 2 isn't. It easily beats these two when it comes to fx, and is certainly no worse gameplay wise - it has different style perhaps, as most Bitmap Bros games do, bit slower and more original, but still quite good. I'd say it's more interesting and innovative than the other ones (ever heard of retros in a shoot'em up before?). The only flaw in Xenon 2 is a somewhat suspect steering, but it's something I got used to quite fast.

It's okay to dislike a game but calling a competent product a "stinker" is just not very fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Plenty of shit games got great reviews.

To anyone that's ever played a Japanese shoot em up, Xenon II is completely unplayable. It's a joke of a game.
It'd be interesting to hear what other games which got >90% scores across the board you also consider "shit"?

Funnily enough I actually do play Japanese arcade shootem'ups regularly and somehow still find Xenon 2 quite playable, enjoyable even. Yes, it's not Raiden or Batsugun, but again, like I said above it's simply different.

Trying to make it out like a complete disaster for zero actual reasons, apart from "muh Nippon shmups!!11!" and game mag conspiracy is just silly. I believe this is what kids these days refer to as an edgelord meme.

Page generated in 0.04376 seconds with 11 queries