View Single Post
Old 24 January 2020, 12:00   #19
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Yeah i remember wanting a Playstation in 1992
... Really?

Quote:
Sorry but he is wrong with that the US CD-i launch price, do a bit of searching online through old newspapers/mags will show the launch price of $999, plus Philips released a press release a year later stating a price drop from that launch price ‘Effective August 17, 1992, Philips reduce price of CD-i from $999 to $699’
Have you got a link to that press release? Are you talking about the same dollars? There are magazine articles from the time that say it was launched for $799 and reduced to $599 after a year, but an official source for that press release would be helpful. Perhaps some confusion could be down to various different models with different specifications and prices?

Quote:
The net is full of sites with misinformation, wikipedia being one of them, one site even states the CD-i 450 player came out in 1991 for $699! The fact it came out in 1994 for $399 shows you they did no research at all!
The good thing about Wikipedia is that you can just go and fix it - if you have evidence to back up your changes, of course. The article you're talking about for the CD-i 450 might simply have been an awkward bit of language - it's easy to write something that can be interpreted in several ways.

Quote:
Most companies look at cost reduction of the same machine often before they have launched the first model.
Not to the extent to which the CDTV was redesigned - it was effectively a completely new machine.

Quote:
Again he is wrong on the price, the UK launch price was £599, you can check plenty of UK adverts at time of launch which show the price.
Without the dates on those advertisements it's hard to say whether they do reflect the launch price or not. Perhaps a link to the complete original magazine, rather than your own compilation, would be more suitable.

Page generated in 0.04626 seconds with 11 queries