View Single Post
Old 29 January 2004, 19:43   #32
The Ancient One
While I recognize that emulation isn't perfect, I'd never go so far as to say that it never will be, so that aspect of the argument (for me) is a bit of a moot point. I emulate AND I run the real thing, but I do each for different reasons.

I emulate mainly because emulation provides me with a means of preserving the Amiga experience in some way that can survive even after my Amigas have ceased to function, in the event that ever happens. I also emulate because emulation allows me to see what the Amiga versions that are newer than my A1000, A500 and A2000 are like, as well as what the software that runs on those newer versions is like. Finally I emulate because emulation provides me a convenient way to test software for compatibility with the Amiga versions that I actually have, as well as serving as a source for software that can be transferred over to be used on the real thing.

I use the real thing for reasons that are less practical. I grew up in an era when the calculator had yet to be invented, much less home computers or video games. I saw the appearance of the first video games and home computers, both of which were very crude by modern standards. I witnessed firsthand the evolution of computers from homebrew kits, Apple II's, IBM PC's and Apple's Lisa and Macintosh. While each of those developments represented an improvement in technology over its predecessors, the release of the A1000 in 1985 represented the most significant single advancement on all fronts to me. The Amiga's graphics and sound cababilities far exceeded anything else available for a home user at the time, and it's ability to pre-emptively multitask was revolutionary in a home machine. When the machine was first introduced, I was quite simply awed by the achievement, and the fact than today's machines now also multitask and have superior graphics and sound to the A1000 doesn't make that achievement any less impressive. The Amiga was the first home machine where the games actually looked and sounded great (in my opinion), and that just gives it a "coolness" factor that no other machine can match. That's the main reason why I use the real thing. It's not so much nostalgia for me as it is respect for what the machine represents.

I just don't think you have to restrict yourself to one vs. the other here, and actually I find that emulation gives me an even greater appreciation of the Amiga. While I remain greatly impressed by the fact that I can run "Shadow of the Beast" in WinUAE on my PIII/700 while it looks right, sounds right and pretty much feels right, that's not the most impressive thing to me. The most impressive thing to me is that any of my Amigas can run the same game perfectly, with only 1/100th of the horsepower.

As usual, just my 2 cents worth ...
Page generated in 0.05622 seconds with 9 queries