View Single Post
Old 01 January 2020, 21:12   #1
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Making a game uncrackable

After reading all the messages from coders begging crackers not to rip off their games (in the other thread), and others where the programmers were bragging about how difficult they would be to crack, what could anyone have done in the Amiga days to stop crackers? I'm guessing nothing, but could they could have made things very hard for crackers?

How about:

- Making the game completely fill the disk, so there would be no room for cracktros? (Might not be possible, of course, but with a large enough game you could try.)
- Putting a different security check on every level of the game? (I've heard of games putting several of checks in place, but what about putting LOTS?)

I always thought the practice of making the game unplayable (eg. GODS) wasn't the best idea. Players probably didn't realise it was the copy protection maybe the game impossible, and just though the game stunk.

If you were to try and challenge an old Amiga cracking team now, and so reduce the ability for people to copy your games, what would you do? (Using the technology of the time -- no internet.)

(Note: Ironically, the reason we're so nostalgic for so many retro-classics is probably because we were able to play them! If piracy hadn't been so rife on home computing, the retro gaming market probably would be a lot smaller!)

Page generated in 0.07473 seconds with 11 queries