View Single Post
Old 26 December 2019, 19:32   #5
dschallock

Summery of the solution

Hi everyone,
Thanks to forum member’s feedback and some tips from the code’s author, I have successfully gotten Oliver Roberts’ Warp Data Type Prefs (WaprDTPrefs) working on a fresh install of Amiga OS 3.1.4.

I wanted to sum up how it was accomplished for future readers.

The challenge/objective of my quest:
The issue is that the WarpDTPrefs program uses the Reaction GUI system which is part of the Amiga OS 3.9 installation (and 3.5). Currently 3.1.4 does not use reaction out of the box. I believe Hyperion has acquired Reaction, so this may be a moot point in future releases of the OS (3.2?) but for now, this is how to get WarpDTPrefs working on 3.1.4 and possibly any other Reaction based GUI program that would have worked under 3.9

What you need:
You need a source of an OS 3.9 installation that has the Reaction system installed or the Amiga OS 3.9 CD (Which is what I used). There may be an archive somewhere with just the files you need but I couldn’t find it on the net.

The solution:
You need to copy 4 groups of files onto your sys: partition
1) From the 3.9 CD you need to locate and copy the resource.library into your LIBS: directory.
2) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/Gadgets /#? Into Sys:Classes/Gadgets/ on your partition. (Note: on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/Gadets/ folder and each have different gadets. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/Gadets/ directory!)
3) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/Images/#? Into Sys:Classes/Images/ on your partition. (Note: on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/Images/ folder and each have different Images files. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/Images/ directory!)
4) From the 3.9 CD you need to copy all the Sys:Classes/#?.class files into your Sys:Classes/ directory. (Note: Again… on the 3.9 CD there is a OS 3.5 directory and a OS 3.9 directory. Each of those drawers have a Classes/ folder and each have different .class files. You need to copy the contents of both into your Classes/ directory!)

Final Thoughts:
None of the files that I mention above overwrite anything in the fresh 3.1.4 installation; therefore I assume that there is no negative impact on the 3.1.4 installation. (This is a good thing).
Per Oliver Roberts’ suggestion via email, I used snoop dos running and continued trying to run WarpDTPrefs unti I figured out every file that was missing. For me the confusion was that the Amiga OS 3.9 CD contained a 3.5 and 3.9 directories that each seemed to contain different but apparently necessary .class, .gadet, and .image files from their respective directories. Although I believe I have covered everything necessary here, when in doubt run snoop dos to see if there is a file missing.
Thank you to the forum members who helped, and especially to Oliver Roberts for his help and for his fantastic Datatypes, I hope he continues developing them and I would encourage anyone considering buying them to do so. The link to his WaprDT page is: https://www.warpdt.co.uk/

Page generated in 0.04517 seconds with 11 queries