View Single Post
Old 18 December 2019, 18:45   #13
Sleeper Grey
keeper of the Stone Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
EoB3 is ugly and the worst of all series.
I can only agree EoB-3 is sort of cursed but it is not without redemption...
Beside some awful portraits the other ugly thing is -font-.

Small letter "a" spoils character names...

With its shadow it is askew, wry and out of row among other letters.

(I avoid using small "a" in the names of my characters. Too bad, key character Delmair has it.)

By the way, Mirek from Vogons did something about the fonts... It isn't something impossible.
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=20601

Other than that... Monsters or dungeons look more or less OK.
They are not splendid but neither they are hopeless

(And well, yes, they produce great "U-hu-hu, U-hu-hu!" sound.)

On Vogons forums I named something EoB-3 did right or at least OK to my consideration.

It's hard to say what they did right... But amazingly they did. Polearms, for example.

Nobody needed that +5 Chiftain Halberd from EoB-I when one could wield +5 Long sword and +3 Short sword. Using just 1 halberd instead was a loss.

Now poking enemies from the 2-nd rank of the party (in EoB-III) with long weapons - tridents or polearms - is a good thing.

Also they dealt in an interesting way with "level limits" for non human races. The limits themselves originate from basic AD&D core rules.
But the game authors added "manuals" as part of a riddle game - to correct a non human character affected by that limits.

(The Manuals in question also come faithfully from the DMG, Dungeon Master Guide 2-nd Edition.)
Like that "Book of Exalted Deeds" offered for reading.
It might give a Gnomish cleric a new level above the limit (up to level 14, level 7 priest spells!) and he/she is considered +1 Wisdom.
Just what a poor non human priest needs!

Also they included some Elven chainmail for those purist playes who detest armored casting as cheating. Just give elven chainmail to the multiclass mages and be purist
And there are only 2 sets of Elven chain, it is still exclusive equipment.

The "All Attack" button is good to greatly reduce hundreds of micromanagement clicks on separate weapons. Bright idea.

Some people blast EoB-III for placing the Mausoleum, the hardest dungeon, at the very start of the game. But I think this is good. That's how the real world works.
Danger just happens: it does not ask whether the characters are trained or not.
It's the hero's responsibility to check if the challenge is -not- too much for him/her.
If the party is weak (not Darkmoon veterans) just drop this Mausoleum... That's life

So why mechanically place more challenge as the party grows stronger.

One might give a try to this game.

Last edited by Sleeper Grey; 18 December 2019 at 19:05. Reason: update

Page generated in 0.04624 seconds with 11 queries