View Single Post
Old 17 December 2019, 19:17   #1
Sleeper Grey
keeper of the Stone Gem

[factory] Eye of the Beholder III abomination fix

Hello All!

The object of this topic - Eye of the Beholder III - in not an Amiga game but well, there is no other way to finish
these famous game series. DOS version is the only one existing/working.

Long story short, I would need an encoding program for EoB-3 format pictures.
The decoding program for it (C++) and the format description already exist. Found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070114...s.com/eob3.bmp

Why the hell?
Games 1 & 2 had great portrait art. But SSI (beside other things) made "revised" portraits for EoB-3.
Some turned -completely dreadful-. Imagine your trusted party members turning into abomination!
Among these was the "Green Priestess", quite popular among the players. Some even gave her a nice cartoon rendering on Youtube, that's how popular she is

[ Show youtube player ]

This lady looked OK in EoB 1 & 2 but in game-3 is Ooch.
Please compare it:

Game 1-2

vs.
Game III

huge ugly face + a huge nose!

Looks like the biblical ~Abomination That Makes Desolate~...

What to do with it.
Changing a portrait like this in the game resource file is easy. But coding a new, nicer EoB-3 picture properly is a problem.

XWE editor can display all game pictures alongside with EoB-3 color palette and a possibility to alter the picture.
But there's NO saving in the correct EoB-3 compressed format.

One can take a "true" EoB-3 portrait from the EYE.RES resource file and place it back replacing some other EoB-3 portrait, this would work.
But any portrait edited with XWE can -not- be displayed by the game. (Blackness is shown instead of a portrait.)

I have made a nice picture based on EoB-1 game, in XWE with EoB-3 color palette.

XWE can save it as standard .bmp and it looks much better.

Like this:

Update: Now, in EoB-III style!

I'm no professional pixel artist but I had some practice and the official "art" is just so bad one can not go wrong here.

Any help to convert it into EoB-3 format as per the link below?

https://web.archive.org/web/20070114...s.com/eob3.bmp

Please come on, as ruining the portraits ruins -all- the game. Correcting them will make it better.

P.S.

I have a correct 30x31 resolution .bmp made with EoB-3 color palette. It should convert into EoB-3 format perfectly.

Last edited by Sleeper Grey; 17 January 2020 at 22:08. Reason: Update!

Page generated in 0.05666 seconds with 11 queries