Thread: AmigaOne
View Single Post
Old 21 January 2004, 18:47   #43

Originally posted by fiath
OS? What does the A1 OS have to do with the classic Amiga's OS? Don't get me wrong, that is a serious question. Severin?

AFAIK it was built from scratch (which is a very good thing) and so other than the Amiga name coming with it, as far as I can see, it has as much to do with the classic Amiga as MorphOS. Would that be correct? I guess both are "modelled" after it - or just insipred by it.

Ultimately, if you use an Amiga now, and want to upgrade it. *Then* I can see a reason to get an A1. I have a good friend who is the same. His (pretty impressive!) Amiga is his sole computer, and so therefore an A1 is a viable upgrade route for him - just as long as he can dual-boot with Linux for the things he can't use the A1 for...

I was just a little surprised because I thought it was "just" to support the community. Which makes no sense to me. I'm glad that isn't the case!
Well, I think Severin answered the OS question, so I won't go into that.

Anyhoo, I have a pile of PCs which I use for most of my current needs, the Amigas I mostly use to cure my frequent nostalgia attacks.

There is an Ariadne NIC in the A4000, but I think it's dead, because I can't seem to get it working. If it had worked I could at least have made an attempt at surfing the Internet with the A4000, but without a graphics card it would mainly have been usable for most stuff except web stuff. Surfing the web in 256 colours isn't really much fun.

Personally, I don't see a problem with purchasing something "just to support it", but I guess that's a matter of perspective. And while I think the A1 is a perfectly good machine, my main soft spot is for the classic Amigas. So perhaps I'll just stick with them for the time being.
Page generated in 0.05711 seconds with 9 queries