View Single Post
Old 31 October 2019, 00:52   #4
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

I did see that recently on a drunken night of demo watching (I'm so behind with the scene...). And I did like it a lot. But best is so subjective. I have played around in PC 3d engines and Unity and whatnot and it's at the point where if you can imagine it you can probably do it with a bit of effort which takes the magic away a little.

For amiga/old skool demos it's like if you can imagine it, it probably can't be done and you have to find a coding genius to even pretend it can be done with xx amounts of trickery. And then if someone comes up with that trickery other people will still call you out on it because it's not realtime. Of course it isn't... I'm bad at maths but I can half program something, but not "imagine" something or make something stylish which always frustrates me. So when I see something in a style I wouldn't never have thought about, well I pause and give it a like.

I can barely do the easy stuff, but on the amiga I think the likes of Rink A Dink Redux, The Fall, the checker board compo from gerp, the rubbertro comp, just blew my mind completely. Eon did it for me from an artistic point of view as well. I would have lost my shit in 1990 seeing those. And now I'm in WinUAE debugger typing "o1" and still not seeing how it was done I used to have Enigma/Digital Innovation/Substance as my favourites but I've changed my mind recently.

PC wise there is so much power that technically difficulty becomes pointless for me. So it's all "the feels" there. I'll thumb up anything on pouet that makes me go "ooo". I really really liked the "bugs" intro you posted recently even though that's not pushing 3d to the edge.

Page generated in 0.06599 seconds with 11 queries