View Single Post
Old 29 October 2019, 20:49   #123
cyberhead97

Here's StatMat's AGS2 skin for AKReal fixed to use with EAB WHDLoad Games AGA Menu package.

It took me a day to get back into the process, so I wanted to write down that I did.

It's kinda a tricky process to make a skin for AGS2, which involves the following steps on a Windows computer:
  1. Start out by editing an existing background image to have resolution and depth set, eg. download background image from https://github.com/henrikstengaard/a...Background.png. Otherwise create a new image with resolution 640 x 256 and 8 bit indexed palette and save it as PNG.
  2. Customize background image with it's desired content using GIMP or similar image editing tool.
  3. Reduce background images number of colors to 50 using IrfanView's to decrease color depth and save image as PNG. This depends on the number of colors used in game/demo screenshots. EAB WHDLoad Games AGA Menu package uses 200 colors, which leaves 53 colors for background image and 2 reserved for text color and background color. Important: Make sure color used draw background for menu and text is rearranged to palette index 254. Otherwise menu color will not work properly.
  4. Edit background image with GIMP and rearrange colormap, so palette index 201-253 is used by background image and save as PNG.
  5. Open background image using XnView and edit palette (CTRL+M) and adjust palette index 255 to desired text color.
  6. Start powershell and run script https://github.com/henrikstengaard/a...ImageToIff.ps1 to convert PNG to IFF for AGS2.

I primarily use Windows so all tools described are for Windows, sorry Mac OS and Linux users .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.png
Views:	473
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	64983  
Attached Files
File Type: zip StatMat_AKRealAGS2Games_HstWB.zip (21.9 KB, 247 views)

Page generated in 0.04553 seconds with 12 queries