View Single Post
Old 17 August 2019, 10:49   #13
alain.treesong
Aghnar

"Geometrical blast" project part 4

Hi,

First, @xboxown :
Of course if I can help you, no problem (I invite you to make a new thread for this).

Now, here is a new update of the shmup engine.

Until now, I had quickly drawn small objects to be able to set up scrolling, movement and collision routines.

As I mentioned in the first post, the goal is a rendering with a geometric aspect, which will allow a good animation coupled with nice transparency/lighting effects.

So we'll test the idea. For this purpose, the wave of enemies of the previous adfs is replaced by a "boss" with a "3D" aspect.
The implemented movements and 3D form will be basic for this test.

There are a lot of 3D software but I'm not used to using them. So as in the good old days, I directly coded some simple 3D shapes in Amos. If it is not very productive, it at least allows to have a good control on the size of the object (which will be contained in an area of 96 by 80 pixels).
Besides, it's fun to do. In practice I had 3D routines on hand that I had done last year so frankly it didn't take long

Click image for larger version

Name:	v4_3D.png
Views:	306
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	64134

The shape obtained is simple and made of lines. It's not super graphically but you could imagine more complex, prettier shapes with filled polygons (and I didn't use all the available colors).

As the good old days are good, but modern times are good too, I took "The gimp" (after a little conversion via Personnal Paint iff->png) and added a contour for a small lighting effect that will allow the Amiga's bitplanes.

Name:	gimp.PNG
Views:	265
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	64135

Once the images were obtained and loaded in Amos, I set up a basic path of the boss (as usual via Amal): when the boss moves and rotates on itself it is invulnerable. When it fires (5 missiles) it can be hit.
The player is invulnerable anyway. There are 40 life points on the boss after which it explodes. The Player can therefore have fun shooting him for a short period of time.

Name:	v4_all.png
Views:	265
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	64136

Normally it's smooth on a standard 500. I think I could even increase the size of the object and the number of shots.

The demo that illustrates this can be downloaded
ADF Geoblast4

As usual, I invite you to test this on a real Amiga and any feedback will be appreciated:-).

A brief assessment:
We have in 320x256, 4 bitplanes a little shmup engine with a small dual playfield (on 2 bitplanes).
The number of competing objects is 15, which offers possibilities compatible with this type of game.
With a certain type of graph mixing 3D and bitmaps drawings, a nice aesthetic seems possible to me.
I haven't set up a bonus routine or collisions with the player yet.
For the moment, everything is at 50 fps on a standard Amiga 500. By the way, congratulations Amos who was very well designed.

I spent a lot of time this week on this code.
I had a good time (but my eyes hurt a little:-))

I'm going to take a little break from dev to think about what I can do with this thing.
Obviously the ideal would be to make a complete game (with an old-fashioned box). To think about it, then.

Bye,
Aghnar

Last edited by alain.treesong; 17 August 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Spelling

Page generated in 0.04562 seconds with 12 queries