View Single Post
Old 28 July 2019, 13:27   #96
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Sounds like you see this from a UK perspective? Dave Pleasence did a good job there, but the rest of the world didnt see much advertizement for the CD32 AFAIK, (dont have much reliable info on that though, mostly memories). As for the Jaguar, I belive their primary market was the US and they did the "Do the math" thing which you can easily find on YouTube.

The FMV cartridge was a cool "novelty thing" for a short period of time in the early 90s. I remember being somewhat impressed watching a VideoCD movie on the CD32 +FMV in a store back then, but as we have all learned throughout history, an expensive add on almost never reaches critical mass so it becomes obsolete soon. It took a couple more years before DVD was a thing, but VideoCD was never a huge hit. If it was, and the CD32 would have been sold bundeled with the FMV module at a good price then maybe ppl would have bought it just for that. (It was also pretty good at Audio CD and a bunch of -at the time - CD formats (Karaoke, PhotCD etc).
Well of course, that's where i am so i can only respond from my UK perspective in most circumstances. Fair enough about the Jag adverts, they certainly didn't have any over here.

I think the FMV was more than just a 'novelty' it was planned as the next home video format, it just didn't hit enough stride in the mainstream to do so before DVD came out, but lots of consoles (CDi, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation etc) all had FMV cartridges released for their machines and Video CD's were massive in Asia even after DVD came out due to the cheap costs.

Plus I'm sure Commodore would have made a FMV bundle if they survived.

Page generated in 0.04278 seconds with 11 queries