View Single Post
Old 28 July 2019, 12:12   #95
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
The FMV Cartridge came out, not sure the question of availability, but no surprise support was null bar two titles as it came out only a couple of months before Commodore went under, why spend time and money on something only 1k ish people had?

An Amiga based CD console too late in 1993? Not at all, underpowered yes, but had Commodore survived more cd only games were due to be launched and i know i had fun with mine, it all wasn’t just about graphics back then, machines like the PC Engine Duo a dominant 2d cd machine was selling well into 1995 in Japan as were obviously cartridge machines like the Megadrive and SNES, i think people tend to remember ‘oh the PS1 came out in 1995’ end of story blah blah when in fact there was a vibrant and imo lot more interesting gaming scene on many levels before it hit with 8bit and 16/32 bit systems still selling in the sector.

Marketing wise, it wasn’t that bad esp considering their budget, got some good TV coverage at the launch with Chris Evans, had their infamous TV ad and advertising board outside Sega HQ, with their budget they did pretty good, compare it to the CDTV and you can see they learned alot, compare it to something like the Atari Jaguar which had no TV advertising.

Who cared if a great game that came on 1 disk for the Amiga had a port to the CD32? as long as the game was great and the price was reasonable i certainly didn’t, one more great game for the machine, better that than the machine not having the game at all.
Sounds like you see this from a UK perspective? Dave Pleasence did a good job there, but the rest of the world didnt see much advertizement for the CD32 AFAIK, (dont have much reliable info on that though, mostly memories). As for the Jaguar, I belive their primary market was the US and they did the "Do the math" thing which you can easily find on YouTube.

The FMV cartridge was a cool "novelty thing" for a short period of time in the early 90s. I remember being somewhat impressed watching a VideoCD movie on the CD32 +FMV in a store back then, but as we have all learned throughout history, an expensive add on almost never reaches critical mass so it becomes obsolete soon. It took a couple more years before DVD was a thing, but VideoCD was never a huge hit. If it was, and the CD32 would have been sold bundeled with the FMV module at a good price then maybe ppl would have bought it just for that. (It was also pretty good at Audio CD and a bunch of -at the time - CD formats (Karaoke, PhotCD etc).

Page generated in 0.04368 seconds with 11 queries