View Single Post
Old 25 June 2019, 10:51   #179
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
Also, in the same thread, it's said that hardware-hitting games shouldn't really be expected to run flawlessly on all the Amiga setups, given the huge variety of configurations. While it's true that it's impossible to have the game tested on all the configurations out there, I did a big effort to have the game running perfectly and in exactly the same way on a wide range of very different machines.

Of course, I can't guarantee that SkillGrid will work on each and every exotic Amiga system out there, but I did strive to make the game as much compatible as possible, so it's safe to say that SkillGrid will run fine on any stable AGA Amiga system.
I'm not too sure I understand this properly. You seem to both agree with the point I and others made in that thread and disagree as well. So, with the greatest respect (because I think it's awesome you made and released a full game and did so much work trying to get it to run on every Amiga), here's where I stand on the issue.

In essence, my point was this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
it's impossible to have the game tested on all the configurations out there, I did a big effort to have the game running perfectly and in exactly the same way on a wide range of very different machines
See: it's impossible to test for every eventuality, so you do the best you can and that should be enough. This is what I tried to get across.

In your case, this meant you could also test on Blizzard PPC boards as you (either directly or indirectly) had access to them, while it meant not testing on Apollo, GVP or Individual Computer accelerators, or the Vampire (which you apparently didn't have access to). For others, this set of available systems will be different and testing on say a Blizzard PPC or even a 68060 might not be possible. For instance, they might not know or not be able to get in touch with the people whose Amiga's you used for testing.

I personally feel that this should not be a reason to tell those developers they're doing a bad job or that they shouldn't release games in that state - if they clearly label what has and hasn't been tested this simply should not be a problem. Even multi-billion dollar companies do this: have a list of supported hardware with the clear position that everything else is a 'maybe works'.

To be clear: I never meant to say you shouldn't try to be as compatible as you can (you should!), nor am I saying here that you personally didn't do enough (far from it, you clearly went above and beyond!). I meant to say that you can only test within the limits of what you have available (again, directly or indirectly).

Expecting more is simply unreasonable.

Page generated in 0.07167 seconds with 11 queries