View Single Post
Old 17 May 2019, 14:06   #5
Daedalus

But, they also cost similar money to a highly-specced Amiga 4000 these days too. They don't often come up, but if you price a good condition 4000 with 060, PPC, fully decked out with SCSI, RTG, AHI, networking and so on, you're not far off the cost of an X5000. And an X5000 will run rings around such a setup.

If you can't justify it, you can't justify it and that's fine. I can't justify the cost because I already have an OS 4.1 machine (an A1-XE G4). That machine cost a fair bit back in the day too - far less than the X5000 but that was also second-hand. But I'm still using it now, around 15 years later, and it's still a very enjoyable machine to use. Sure, a PC will be much cheaper, but if PC gaming is your hobby, it will cost you a lot more in the same timeframe. I'm only a casual PC gamer, but I've spent far more on my PC (PCs? It's had so many parts upgraded over the years that you could probably build several complete systems) in 15 years than I have on my AmigaOne. On a year-to-year basis, owning an AmigaOne machine is actually a pretty cheap hobby. I'm sure I'll still be using mine long after I've forgotten about my current PC.

Comparing these machines to commodity PCs is just a silly way of looking at it.

Edit: For dipping your toe into Os 4, you can get an introduction for the cost of a classic licence and run it in WinUAE. It will be slow and clunky compared to dedicated hardware, but might at least be enough to give you a taste of it without the massive outlay. Second-hand Sam-based systems come up from time to time and might also be worth considering.

Page generated in 0.04527 seconds with 11 queries