Thread: Testing PFS3AIO
View Single Post
Old 20 March 2019, 17:57   #2
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Explanation is still the same: it won't become official until someone makes good enough test program (that automatically fills the partition and does all kinds of file accesses and also checksums each file). Only if it survives multi-hour testing of this kind: it can be considered safe

Max partition limit is already about 1.6T. There are 4 "limits": original ~5G (1k "smalldisk"), original ~104G (1k), new 411G (2k) and 1.6T (4k). Internal index block size doubles each time max size increases.
I would do it as soon as I resolve my power supply issue. Apparently my power supply have killed two hard drives and a dvd reader before I realized it killed them. Yesterday when my dvd reader started to smell burning I decided..okay...a new power supply solution is imminent. Right now...I am...<goes on into endless details of what he plans to do that no one on Earth really cares about>......

....although....I could write such apps in amiBlitz if you want me to? I can right an app that rights a large sum of files to fill the partition...what the program will do is fill the hard drive up..then ones the file hard drive is filled up..it will open each file and modify them by updating their contents, changing their sizes...and doing that for all the files...then it would delete 50% of the files and rewrite them again with different sizes. That I can do without asking someone for help in how to code such function.

The only problem that makes me go...uh help?....is the checksums each file. What do you mean by checksumming and how does one code a checksum function?

---------------------------------------------

What do you think of this method of testing the partition?

A) Checks the available space of the partition and use that to divide it by 4096 (4 MB) to determine how many of 4 MB files it will produce to fill it up.
B) Then it will produce that many 4 MB files of gibberish contents.
C) Ones the hard drive space is full it would open each 4 MB and modify it's contents to become 2 MB until 50% of that are 2 MB.
D) Then the remaining 25% will make the files 1 MB.
E) Then the remaining 25% will make the files to be 512KB
F) Then it will calculate how much space left available and then take the available space and divide it by 512 KB to determine the actual size of the file it need to grow big again to fill up the space again.
G) Then it calculates how many of those files it need to fill up the space and then expand those files to that size until the partition is full again.

The file names will be 0.DUM, 1.DUM, 2.DUM, etc easy when used in programming for looping.

H) (After you explain checksumming and how it works and code it) I will check checksum each file until it is completed.
I) Then it deletes the files one by one until all the test files are terminated.

How does that work? Is that good? I will use AmiBlitz to develop the application...it will use MUI and it will be verbose in terms of it's actions until completed.

Last edited by xboxown; 20 March 2019 at 18:12.

Page generated in 0.04186 seconds with 11 queries