View Single Post
Old 25 November 2003, 09:48   #2
ant512

Re: Strange A1200 behaviour

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
The strange thing is that it takes nearly 10 secs until you see the Amiga's boot screen with the floppy disk animation. Never seen an A1200 before that it takes so long.
An A1200 without a hard disk takes about that long to start up. The hard disk detection routines hold everything up until the system is sure that no hard drives are attached.

Kickstart 3.1 ROMs take slightly longer than 3.0.

Quote:
Second problem I have, is that certain games fail to load whereas the same games work perfectly in every single Amiga I tried including my A1200. A game that I experienced problems is Kick Off 2.
The Escom/Amiga Technologies A1200s used a standard PC high-density floppy drive, bodged to work as an Amiga double-density drive. Unfortunately, the drive doesn't implement the DISK_WAIT signal, which is used by the majority of Amiga games. Without this, games will freeze and wait indefinitely for a signal which will never be delivered.

I tried installing a standard Amiga floppy in my Escom machine, but had the same result as you. It's possible that Escom bodged something on the motherboard to make the drives work, which makes standard drives fail; alternatively, did you try swapping the floppy's ribbon cable? I didn't try that, and they may be different.

Page generated in 0.04182 seconds with 10 queries