View Single Post
Old 30 January 2019, 23:18   #9
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
You can allocate a new supervisor stack - all provided you insert this information into execbase as otherwise graphics below v45 gets a hickup. However - what for? The supervisor stack is only needed for interrupt processing, and its default size of 6K is really large enough.

There is no "own supervisor stack", there is only "one supervisor stack". So I wonder - why do you think that the default size is not large enough? Note well, the supervisor stack is completely separate from the user stack which is separate for each task, and which has a size that is task-dependent and configurable individually, for example with the magic $STACK: cookie in the code hunk.
Well I don't have an immediate specific need for something > 6k in mind, but games programmers are always pushing the boundaries of everything, so it's nice to know where the boundary is. As for "6K is really large enough", sounds a bit like another famous quote about ram size that also started with a 6 and ended with a K

I could imagine for example if you wanted to do a quick and dirty conversion of a non system friendly game, to make it system friendly that had it's main loop running out of the VBL and it used a lot of stack. Obviously there are other ways around it, but the OS provides a way of adding these interrupt servers, yet there are (unwritten?) rules about what you can do in them.

Last edited by alpine9000; 31 January 2019 at 06:10.

Page generated in 0.04706 seconds with 11 queries