View Single Post
Old 17 December 2018, 13:13   #15
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
But is it a standard CV64/3D or the rare "Z4" version? AFAIK the standard one can't take advantage of the double speed slots found in Z4 boards. Manual tells "This speed will only work with cards that were designed for Fast Z2!". But if you prove me wrong, and you notice speed difference between normal and double speed slots, let us know!

I also have overclocked my CV64/3D to work marginally faster on a Zorro II bus...
Yes, it is of course the DCE version, that supports fast ZII, so I'll be set to go
How much did you overclock it? Do you know how fast your ram is? I understand 70ns is normal for Phase5 cards, but DCE-cards often have 50ns ram it seems. Do you cool the card?

I'll try colonization while I'm at it, but it will be difficult to gauge any speed improvement as it already runs VERY fast on a stock A1200. WHen I first asked about game-performance I was thinking about RTG-games. I had a PicassoIV back in the day but quickly upgraded to a Voodoo3, and the PIV was left doing scandoubling. :P I don't remember how well it performed on the ZII bus, and how great the improvement was over stock AGA.

What I wanted to know was: Will SCUMMVM, Doom, Shapeshifter etc. run noticably faster on an RTG card on the ZII bus then on AGA, or will the ZII bottleneck be so dramatic that it's niglectible? My guess would be that even on ZII RTG will be dramatically faster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but mode promotion doesn't result in improved performance. 15 years ago I spent many days trying to get the best possible performance in Sim City 2000. One of the things i tried was mode promotion, but there was no performance increase. I tried it both with my Voodoo 3 and with my Picasso IV.

Page generated in 0.05568 seconds with 11 queries