View Single Post
Old 06 November 2003, 23:09   #84
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Originally posted by Akira
The way I heard it this is apple shite and you can buy any card and it whould work, only that if you buy it from an Apple store you pay through the nose for the same thing. But I could be wrong.

I am not sure about what you are talking about. If you want retro gaming in a current Mac you can always lameulate. And lots of 68k stuff works, surprisingly, under OS X's Classic environment.

As long as the device is DECENT and HID compliant the mac will lift it up without the need for any drivers.

You said you used 10.1 for a while, how can you be assuming such a load of stuff with zero experience with the current OS?
First off emulators for the most part are buggy as hell. Just because you can get the thing running doesnt mean it will work and sound the way its supposed to. Plus its more fun playing the game then fucking with the emulator settings. You should know I have a shitload of retro machines because nothing beats the real thing.

Well I have read alot of people hacking the bios and some hardware on PC cards to get them to work in OSX running macs. This includes video cards and hd controllers. So you never tried installing a non mac card inta a machine and say it will work but 3 paragraphs down your bitching about my zero experience?

All I know is that just because a joystick is recognised by an OS as a USB device it doesnt mean that the 15 butons and sliders will work unless there are drivers for it on that OS. Doesnt matter if your using macos, unix, windows 9x, windows 2k, beos, etc its all the same there. Ever wonder how mac video cards are always 2x more expensive then the normal version for the pc? If you could just plug in any of them this wouldnt be the case. I do know for a fact that you need an apple rommed card for macos 7-9 so I dont see why they would change (unless somebody hacked a linux driver to work in osx).

I did connect a few USB devices to my mac when I was playing around with osx and a few worked great and a few had problems (mice, keyboards, external drive, etc).
Page generated in 0.05384 seconds with 9 queries