View Single Post
Old 22 November 2018, 12:36   #4
Master484

Quote:
I'd like to know too, they always seem to be in a random palette order too!
I have always drawn my Amiga graphics in Windows Paint, and save them in PNG, and then convert them to Amiga IFF using XnView.

The colors of the resulting image will usually show wrong in Blitz, but a simple trick will solve this problem.

Just place your game palette colors to the upper left corner of the image you're trying to convert, like this:

Make sure that the colors appear in right order, so put your game palette color 0 first, then color 1, then color 2, and so on.

This gives the resulting IFF image the right colors.

I think XnView reads the colors from the image one pixel at a time, starting from the upper left corner and automatically creates the palette from them. The first color it sees becomes palette color 0, and the next color becomes palette color 1, and so on.

---

Another important thing is the OCS color values. On AGA each RGB component can have values from 0-255, but on OCS the RGB values have a range of 0-15.

So on when making AGA graphics the colors from Windows Paint can be used directly, and they'll show up exactly the same on an Amiga AGA screen. But on OCS the colors will not be 100% the same. Although I think that on OCS the RGB values convert automatically to closest equivalent values, so the image will show up, but the colors can be slightly off.

But there is a workaround for this problem too.

When creating your graphics on PC, just use RGB values that correspond directly to the OCS RGB values.

Here are all OCS RGB component values between 0-15 and their 0-255 color equivalents.

0 -- 0
1 -- 17
2 -- 34
3 -- 51
4 -- 68
5 -- 85
6 -- 102
7 -- 119
8 -- 136
9 -- 153
10 -- 170
11 -- 187
12 -- 204
13 -- 221
14 -- 238
15 -- 255

Draw your image using only those RGB values for all colors, and the colors should show up exactly the same on an Amiga OCS screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PaletteImgConv.png
Views:	352
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	60899  

Page generated in 0.04589 seconds with 12 queries