View Single Post
Old 18 November 2018, 16:21   #11
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
There was definitely some advanced stuff available from a purely technological perspective, but the main difference was that this was usually custom hardware carrying an astronomical price tag.
For example, the Quantel Paint Box was really advanced and way, way, waaay beyond anything available for consumers in 1984, but the price (adjusted for inflation) was in the $300,000 ballpark.
This is true, but the ISA cards I referred to didn't cost anywhere near that. The Number Nine Revolution series was a bunch of PC ISA cards that came out between 1983 and 1984, costing between $1995 and $2995 and they had high colour capabilities.

For instance, the Revolution 512x32 could display a 512x480 resolution with 245760 colours on screen out of 16 million. This was in 1984.

Obviously out of the price range of consumers and AFAIK these cards couldn't do animation at all well, but they were available and cheaper than I thought they were.

Quote:
What the Amiga did was to raise the consumer level tech to a new standard.
For sure, I would never say anything different. It was also much more capable in the animation department than specialized ISA cards were.

Page generated in 0.04548 seconds with 11 queries