View Single Post
Old 11 November 2018, 22:31   #14
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolunchman View Post
surely he's one of the biggest fans, but he also wants to sell next gen amigas, so i wouldn't fault him for leaving the classics out to pasture.
Yes, hes a huge fan of the classics, and the track record of A-EON shows that he's not about leaving them out to pasture as they have also made releases of software and hardware for classic Amigas. But I think he realises that it's simply not practical to dedicate the required resources to what is ultimately a lost cause when they could be used for better things.

Quote:
the irony is that now we can have computers so fast that we all have to phone the sysinfo guy, but then have almost no software that takes advantage of the increased performance and is actually more likely to crash on our favorite games.
There are plenty of games and applications that take advantage of more horsepower, and while they still might be rendered obsolete by their modern equivalents on other platforms, they still work well at what they do, unlike the 68K/HTML4/Non-CSS web browsers where the web has progressed away from them.

Quote:
i think a classic amiga with the right accelerator (probably FPGA) and ram could be a daily driver. of course you won't be downloading at 100Mbps on a plipbox, but web pages are still kept lean, around 2MB and even HD streams are about 2Mbit/s, well within reach of even the old 2065 ethernet cards. i know decoding h.265 in real time may be a stretch, but amiga guys are smart and very clever.
The data throughput of the network isn't the main issue (although sharing the 3.5MB/s maximum of Zorro-II with a graphics card and storage will start to have an impact too). The main issue is the decoding of video or image data, and in the case of web pages, rendering the page and compiling & executing the JavaScript that most pages now rely so heavily on. 2MB of a webpage could mean 1MB of JavaScript, which is enough to bring an I7 to its knees if you let it. And if you're doing the rendering and decoding in software, you're going to need a multi-GHz CPU. Even the fastest FPGA 68K implementations are only a fraction of the way there.

Your best bet if you want to follow that route, is AROS. You can use that on a modern PC, browse the internet within the limitations of OWB, watch a decent level of video and more, all within an Amiga-like environment.

Page generated in 0.06133 seconds with 11 queries