View Single Post
Old 08 November 2018, 00:51   #322
gregthecanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
So people can mess with it and introduce more bugs and incompatibilities? No thanks. I would rather have an official closed source controlled by developers who know what they are doing.

Anybody can write their own device driver - no need to have source code for the 3.1 ROM version. Or are Amiga developers too lazy to write their own code now?

I was going to get 3.1.4, but decided to wait and see how it developed first. I'm glad I did because it doesn't offer anything I really want and some of its 'features' are dealbreakers for me. I'll just stick with 3.0 since it does everything I need.
Hi Bruce -

My suggestions on open source suggest a similar model that is used elsewhere - there is a main repository that nobody can update except the "gatekeeper(s)" (such as Mr. Torvalds on Linux). That way developers can fork their own branch, hack away on suggested enhancements/tweaks, and feed them back to the main branch for inclusion by request (a "pull request"). This type of model is complemented by a healthy forum or mailing list discussion.

I suggested scsi.device since from previous notes from the developers it is full of a lot of old classic crud. Maybe it could be rewritten in public? That would unencumber the code from the "no sharing the code" restriction in Hyperion's agreement with A-Inc.

As for your other comments, well, everyone has their opinion.

Page generated in 0.04729 seconds with 11 queries