Thread: PCem
View Single Post
Old 18 October 2018, 13:37   #23
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I don't think PCem is based on DOSBox, code is very different (I know because I replaced DOSBox emulation with PCem in WinUAE x86 bridgeboard emulation).

PCem is designed for emulating configured hardware (model specific mainboard chipset, including side-effects etc..) as accurately as possible with accurate speed which makes it less flexible. There is no "fastest possible" mode. DOSBox "only" emulates "generic" PC.
Might be my bad memory, as I remember reading somewhere about it at the time there was network fork in project. Might be just my misunderstanding that DOSBox was base for it, and that as you said, instead of generic code, bios and and firmware were replacing otherwise generic code in DOSBox.

In DOSBox there is MAX Cycle option, that will run at max speed possible, but that is actually known to slow down or make game video/sound choppy.

Auto for cycle works great until you try game like UFO: Enemy Unknown, where your timer will run like crazy in geo world, but in mission everything runs smoothly.

Long time ago I wrote DOSBox instructions on Abandonia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrz View Post
nope
the game Descent runs perfect at full speed in DOSBOX no glitches I tested it
red alert is a windows game works perfect on VIrtual PC + win98 install, far easy to setup and run
Why is Virtual PC easier to setup then pcEM? It is exactly as easy on pcEM, and some of folks, like me, can't run VirtualPC. (due to vmware )

Last edited by Anubis; 18 October 2018 at 13:42.

Page generated in 0.04300 seconds with 11 queries