View Single Post
Old 01 October 2018, 09:15   #17
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Well, i do understand you, but please show me the legal distributor of the original 030 CPUs? Or 060??Most of them are rebranded china fakes, i know it well, cause i started to build TF530 cards from first day these was available, found one seller in USA who sold me about 50 used MC68EC030RP40C chips, i was very happy cause these was original and didn't needed a cooling system, but these are sold long time ago, and i am unable to find original CPUs for reasonable price anymore..so have no idea what chips these are, but as long these fakes do their job im fine with them..
You'll see in one of my other posts - i'll link it in a bit i've gotta run the GF into work in a sec - that i actually agree with you. Counterfeit doesn't necessarily mean bad. Are they going to overclock as well as the MC's? Who knows. Either way they need testing. My personal problem with the Furia is the lack of quality control. As it happens you're right - my CPU isn't the problem (i swapped it out just incase, but it didn't change symptoms) - my problem was three specific dodgy RAM chips. If the board was at the very least checked properly before being sent out, then sure - but it still doesn't cover any of the other issues i've highlighted with such 'work bench industries'. (no pun intended, lol)

The real ones are out there by the way. There was a guy on ebay selling a whole tray of 020fg25's (as on the furia) only a month or so ago, and i'm guessing the early white Furia's had more genuine and NOS chips as people seem to have less problems with them. I bought a NOS 030rp33 for my TF530 about a month ago from the states - he had a tray of about fifty, probably the same guy you bought from - it was actually bloody gorgeous to open because you could tell it was brand new. I bought from the UK a replacement 020fp25 (like on the furia) that was a genuine MC from 2000 - i asked him for the CPU mask and the date code before purchase. You put these chips side and side and its night and day. Same with NOS vs reclaimed from simms - full of scratches as opposed to spotless.

Look - i'm not saying that you can build a mass produced accelerator with brand new CPU's. Of course you can't. (Is the wicher not an exception? does that not use a still manufactured 68k with a higher clock? {it doesn't, see post below}). But if you're buying what you think is a commercial product, often from an online store, then at the very least you should be told that you're receiving a 'reimagined' CPU. It says on Loratheks site by the way that its a genuine motorola, and genuine NOS samsung chips that have never been used before. I've never seen NOS chips with scratches and pits from having been pulled from SIMMs before. Three were problematic - this is a fact - it rendered the board useless.

Bottom line - your issue with the CPUs, i accept - and indeed in my other posts i've said the same... if they work then they work. But tell the customer what they're spending a hundred pounds on. Ya know?

Most of my problem with the current influx of these startup bedroom industries still stands - the CPU issue is just an example of the difference between customer expectation from a 'company', and the reality of a product received from a hobbyist turned 'supplier'.

John

Last edited by project23; 01 October 2018 at 12:19.

Page generated in 0.04702 seconds with 11 queries