View Single Post
Old 19 August 2018, 09:12   #180
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
If you’re right on the limit performance wise make sure you test on real hardware as winuae is slightly less accurate at emulating a cycle exact a1200 compared to a cycle exact a500.
Yeah, I'm actively looking for one for around £200... crazy how they cost that much these days. I've just looked on Gumtree and there is someone selling an A1200 in my town so have made enquires, he wants £230.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
I can totally relate to your posting. Reshoot (and RESHOOT R) also use AGAs basic bitplane setup without dual playfield, and it took me a long time to figure out the correct color register settings. Using sprites makes it even more complicated, because of the 16 (or 32) color registers reserved for sprites, intermixing with your basic 256 colors palette setup for the bitplan. I wish you luck :-)

As for raster timing: Don´t forget that game logic, collision control, music driver etc. will eat up precious cpu time, so you will probably end up with 7 or 8 blitted objects instead of 10 using the current code technique.
I'm not kidding it took me ages to wrap my head around as it was real brain teaser, eventually it sunk in. When I had the code down and it just didn't work I started to doubt myself that the maths/bits were right, went back to the drawing board and came back with the same answer! It was only when I wrote a test palette display and realised the Amiga wasn't changing the palette registers 8-15 for bank 0 without the copper that the problem and solution presented itself.

Good shout about the sprite palettes, I have moved all the hardware sprites palettes into the 16-31 colour range but had not considered the hardware sprites after having to re-arrange the palette. Having a quick look I don't have the colours in registers 16-31 in any palette bank.

I'm taking a short break before I start the background scrolling routines which again became more complicated because the odd and even modulos have to be the same. I need a fresh head as all that took it out of me a little.

Last edited by mcgeezer; 19 August 2018 at 09:19.

Page generated in 0.04225 seconds with 11 queries