View Single Post
Old 28 June 2018, 02:12   #15
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Interesting - it does make sense, so much so that I'm now wondering if any computers were actually designed and built that dealt with colour in this way? (In the 80s / very early 90s, at least -I'm not counting YUV video overlays on modern PC graphics cards)
As mentioned YUV generation was easier than RGB and supported by many computers - YUV was easy to generate as it can be created purely in digital domain in simple circuits (as colour information is coded in phase of signal and phase can be easily controlled by flipflops). In Amiga times analog RGB was unique - IBM PC used TTL multi-line connection - RGBI - first analog RGB in PC world (large scale) was VGA (MCGA) - from this moment analog RGB begin to be widely implemented.
And Amiga Vidiot was always component and never color composite - Amiga 1000 used discrete video DAC and MC1377 as color encoder - Vidiot is hybrid implementation for Amiga discrete DAC.
It is quite interesting to simulate if HAM can be profitable by using YCbCr (or YCoCg) - it should be not a problem to add YCoCg (YCbCr) to "new Denise" if outcome of simulation shows HAM benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I should correct something I said about HSV used on the Atari 8-Bits: HSV is Hue, Saturation and Value, but the Atari designers didn't use Saturation (the strength of a hue) because of the 8-bit limitation, so all the hues on the Atari are full strength.
Because color can be easily controlled by series of flip flops and simple muxer to select phase delay (when referenced to burst), adding saturation will require DAC (color information is coded by amplitude and phase).

Page generated in 0.04295 seconds with 11 queries