Thread: CRT is King!
View Single Post
Old 21 June 2018, 02:04   #54
scuzz

I just had to post a reply to this post.... Made me laugh so much. It was early 1994 and sadly the computer store had to return my £50 deposit for the Commodore 1942 as they had gone bust and they couldn't get one. I was struggling using the Amiga on the CRT TV, not monitor, and sick to death of not being able to use the varied screen resolutions.

Fortunately there was an alternative... the very wonderful Microvitec with its ability to multisync and switch to the differing screen modes. And I still have the monitor along with half a dozen more. I couldn't live without them. As for the CRT TVs I have a 32" and 14" Trinitron plus a 32" Toshiba and a couple of black and whites. They are all inferior to a 'proper' CRT monitor designed for the Amiga. Even the Samsung flat-screen running off the scart is dreadful.

I also very much prefer having the Amiga plugged into speakers so I can control the sound and move the speakers around. Interestingly not all Amiga monitors or monitors that supported the Amiga can handle all the screen modes and that also can be very annoying. There is nothing like the click of the Microvitec.

Saying that there is seriously one alternative option that gives a great picture and suits the Amiga 'proper' resolutions and that is the PicassoIV running on a Mitsubishi CRT monitor. I would agree with one view and that is the older CRT tube style monitors work better for the Amiga and that is more about the ratio of the screen image to the display area. It is something I struggled with a lot when flat screens came out. Flat screens work best when you can use the screen formats designed for them. I once broke a SONY Bravia forcing the old CRT ratio screen to work on it. My old recorded video tapes just looked crap on the Bravia... That's why I keep the SONY 32" in the lounge. I still use it more than the larger flat screens, though the BRAVIA is way better for HD etc.

I did play for many many years with the PS1 and PS2 on the 14" SONY Trinitron but once I got the PS3 I just had to swap over to the flat screen and with a modern computer I wouldn't use anything else. For the Amiga though my view today is just the same as it was in 1994... Microvitec is king and Multisync monitors that support all the rich and varying screen modes... You really don't want to see those hazy crazy lines flickering across your TV when it can't show the images or program cus of unsupported screen modes. Great thing about the Microvitec is that it can handle everything. I even have a 17" Microvitec.... magic.... Kinda telling when I plug in an Amiga and the TV fails to pick up the Workbench and I have to boot in to low res to change the screen mode. So annoying.... So yay to CRT as king but only in the screen modes as intended... for me that is.

Page generated in 0.08222 seconds with 11 queries