View Single Post
Old 08 April 2018, 23:19   #8
capehorn

Ok, I'll spill the secrets of Rainbow Islands as it's a lot to figure out in three weeks.

If you complete the game but don't get a big gem in each island, you get the bad ending.

You need to get one of each big gem in each island to get the good ending. You do this by getting at least one of each small gem in each island (the words COMPLETE will appear in big letters on the screen when you've done this) then you can collect the big gem at the end of the boss battle.

But to really do well in this game, you want to get all seven small gems IN LEFT TO RIGHT ORDER in each island. That is red first, then orange, then yellow, green, blue, indigo (purple) and violet. If you pick them up on the correct order, then you will get the secret door at the end of the island. This gives you the opportunity to skip the boss altogether (enter the door before the boss appears), and pick up the special bonuses inside.

These special bonuses are important as they give you abilities that help you further in the game. The abilities granted are:

1st Island - Fast Running Shoes
2nd Island - Double Rainbow
3rd Island - Fast Rainbow
4th Island - Flying Wings
5th Island - Use Continues in later levels (useless in the comp but it's worth points when you pick it up) and warp to Island 7
6th Island - Fairy Protection and Coin (the coin means treasure in Island 7 is likely to be worth more points)
7th Island - Treasure Room

All these abilities last the entire game, so you keep them if you lose a life. Having the first three makes the game much easier, wings is very useful in Island 5 in particular, and the fairy will kill any enemy it comes into contact with, turning them into a gem.

So how do you get gems? If you kill an enemy by making a rainbow fall on it, then it is likely, but not certain to drop a gem. If you kill it by making a star come into contact with it, or with the fairy, then you are likely to get a gem. If you kill it by other means, you are much less likely to get a gem, so spend time learning the method to making rainbows fall on the enemies.

The colour of the gems you get depend on where on the screen they fall. Gems that appear on the far left on the screen will be red, a little further to the right will be orange and so on. Enemies will fall in the direction they were moving when you killed it, so think about the timing of when to make the rainbows fall to get the gems you need.

Now the bonus systems on Rainbow Islands are quite complicated, and I don't know all of it, and there are sites out there that tell you about all this stuff, but in general, gems and stars are GOOD, the more gems and stars you collect, the better your future bonuses will be. Rings are also a key to getting a good score, the rings do different things but are all good for scoring points. So get all the stars you can, and once you have got all the gems in order, go round collecting as many gems as you can. Rings will be one of the rewards you get for doing this.

That's pretty much what I know about the game. My target is to always try to collect the gems in order on each island, and get into the secret rooms. The first three are a necessity to gaining the powers required to complete the game IMO, and if you and I are right, that means that getting into all seven rooms gives a 50 million points bonuses.

Page generated in 0.04903 seconds with 10 queries