View Single Post
Old 11 December 2017, 12:11   #1
Miggy4eva
Amiga warrior

Port Wolfenstein on Amiga 500 / 1000 OCS

hello everyone, i would love to have a thread to discuss Wolf 3d. And to stay on topic without fighting etc.
Mods, if this is in the wrong area please move it, I don't mean to offend anybody.

I have attached the resources for Wolfenstein including all sprites and textures.
It is 242 unique colours, I have not reduced the colour yet because I need to select a palette for each level and even for each section of a level. We could do a quick palette change with the Copper when the players walks through a certain door so that it's more suitable for new sprites and textures in that area. Simple with the Copper.
There are further discussions about extracting resources here: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.ph...fcfe42e860cd90

I have read people discussing the calculations of bandwidth required in other threads, and on other sides, and it seems with 2x2 pixel doubling or 1x2 the OCS Amiga is fast enough to achieve 20fps in 64 colours.

To achieve this we need
1) Very efficient raycaster engine. See 2) Very good C2P routines using Copper. Here are some discussion resources, if I find others I will add to this list:
The purpose of this thread will be to collect any resources we need to make Wolfenstein happen on the Amiga. I will collect links, tutorials, interesting quotes and discussions I get out of other conversations I have read through on this topic, and videos of demo's and games which show the OCS doing everything required to run Wolfenstein, in case some thinks it's not possible.

Finally, please give this some attention and thought, and make constructive posts only to help us move forward. I have wanted Wolf on the Amiga for SO long, it simply must be done. Can we please start work on it. I am ready to any graphics work and other roles that I can.

Examples of first-person engines on OCS, Amiga 500 / 1000 STOCK
  1. Wildcat Demo. Skip to 59 seconds. [ Show youtube player ]
    In fact the author told somebody he was going to find the time to continue developing this into Wolfenstein but now I can not find the comment on here, maybe it was on youtube?
  2. Legends of Valour. Skip to 15 seconds. [ Show youtube player ]
  3. Ambermoon. Skip to 1:41. [ Show youtube player ]
  4. Wheelbarrow Simulator. Quite a joke game but also interesting that it does FPS without any optimisation and I doubt the programmer tried very hard. This is what is EASILY achievable. [ Show youtube player ]
  5. SuperOriginal Demo. Skip to 2:22. [ Show youtube player ]
  6. Alien Enemy playable demo [ Show youtube player ]
  7. Citadel. The textures are far higher resolution than required, there are textures on the floor and ceiling which can be cut for Wolf. This would increase the framerate [ Show youtube player ]
  8. Another Citadel video. Skip to 9:08 for screen size change, frame rate isn't as fast as other videos (maybe has other programs open?), but if we pixel double even this to 2x2 to fill the screen it will be fine. [ Show youtube player ]
  9. Walls. Skip to 2:08. [ Show youtube player ]
  10. Can anyone please think of any other good demo's or examples, I can edit this post and add them

Examples of Wolfenstein 3d and other things of interest running on platforms comparable to A500
  1. Thanks LongLifeA1200. Wolfenstein running on an 8-bit 8088 at 4.77mhz. Skip to 4:00 [ Show youtube player ]
  2. Thanks LongLifeA1200. Wolfenstein running on 286 at 10mhz. Skip to 0:40 [ Show youtube player ]
  3. Wolfenstein running on 8-bit Apple iiGS. CPU is 8 bit 65816, accelerated to 10mhz. Skip to 1:25 for fullscreen. 5:38 for window decrease. [ Show youtube player ]
  4. Wolfenstein running on C64. Skip to 1:15. [ Show youtube player ]
  5. Wolfenstein running on Megadrive and SNES. [ Show youtube player ]
  6. Wolfenstein running on Gameboy Colour. Skip to 0:30. [ Show youtube player ]
  7. Wolfenstein running on Atari ST. Framerate is quite terrible, resolution is 2x2 pixel doubled. Skip to 0:55. [ Show youtube player ]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wolf3dResources.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	55816  

Last edited by Miggy4eva; 13 December 2017 at 11:59.

Page generated in 0.04598 seconds with 12 queries