View Single Post
Old 04 December 2017, 19:07   #49
Drag0nFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Zack, I thought the same at first, if you read what I posted, I tested this with NO memory on it at all. So it isn't a memory problem., The card was tested unpopulated and same errors occurred. It's a card incompatibility.

Well I disagree that this is not a "decent" accelerator just because it doesn't run on WHDLoad. This thing works fine with everything else EXCEPT WHDLoad.

I understand that Bert can't test every setup and if it helps, because I feel there are many 1230XA users, I can lend my card for him to try to fix WHDLoad for it. Does anyone think this is worth a shot or do you think Bert wouldn't care?

I don't feel like spending any more money on this machine, especially at the price point of 030 cards nowadays, they are really way too fucking expensive. Might as well never play games on it and that's that. As a matter of fact maybe I should just sell my A1200 since I rarely use it.

As you say I have experimented with tooltypes yesterday. Disabling caching of Chip RAM has helped somehow, I will try the other options. Thanks for pointing me to that thread, i didn't know other people had problems with this card too!

Mystery solved but issue not solved
@Akira (& others)–

Wondering if you got your issues resolved (or if you decided it was not worth investing further time and money into)? I came across your thread when I was researching my own Whdload issues (17.x & 18.x revisions), as they've bitten into quite a chunk of time and money so far...

I have a somewhat different card than yours, an Individual Computers ACA 1233n (the 42Mhz 030 model w/128Mb RAM). As you, I've never encountered issues outside of Whdload (some AGA demos which run directly from a minimal-boot, etc.) And no hard-freezes when things do crash.

I have shuffled around with many Whdload options -

- MMU / NoMMU
- NoAutoVec
- NoMemReverse
- NoVBRMove

etc. But none provide a stable setup - i.e, there's always a game that bombs out, even simple ones by just running it long enough (I had Bubble Bobble crap out on one of the final levels, for instance). Also Bloodnet AGA crashed while nothing at all was happening (I left it paused over a few hours)

I first replaced a previous (Typhoon 1230 Mk2 w/SCSI & 32Mb RAM) accelerator, thinking new hardware would solve this. The ACA line had also been reported as more compatible (at least the ones _prior_ to the 1233n)

Thinking it was the mainboard, I got it fully recapped and had both CIAs + Paula & LISA replaced and socketed. Also had the timing fixes done, i.e, the E123c & E125c removed. The mainboard is a rev. 1d4 btw.

The guy (a well-known and very knowledgeable recapper on Amibay) told me it was a very clean board and also did extensive testing, but found everything to be 100% functional.

I love my Amigas, but I am at a loss of how to correctly remedy this. I mostly get the Acccess Faults - which seemingly occur at random. I've never gotten any autovec-related ones, but that option 'seemed' to improve things slightly.

I don't think it is a heat-related issue, as many gfx-intensive demos (e.g, The Black Lotus' Tint, Captured Dreams, Goa, etc.) run properly every time.

I thought about the Kickstarts, and might try to replace those (after I determine which ones are 'good' by comparing the hashes). And also which ones to tinker with, as there are several other files despite the 512kb 'actual' kickstart ROMs.

But obviously, sinking an indefinite amount of time and resources into it is not feasible - and it would be better to get my kicks from my A500s (although I really like Whdload for its ease-of-use and not having to hassle with floppy/adf swaps)

Anyway, sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I thought as a final measure I'd see if you finally came to the bottom of your mystery and solved/worked around the issue.

Or if you eventually gave up. Either outcome would be of interest.

Page generated in 0.04571 seconds with 11 queries