View Single Post
Old 21 November 2017, 00:35   #31
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Not particularly fast, but that's never stopped anyone from finding uses for those screen modes, and with everything we've seen in demos and games you can't honestly suggest that noone would find use for chunky mode graphics on OCS just because it needs more memory and bandwidth.
Yeah, point taken but I doubt that there was anything meaningful done in those modes aside from productivity or turn-based/adventure games. It was just too slow to update fast enough for an action game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Hi guys thanks for the replies. Like I said in the first post by the time they got to 256 colours, they might of realised that perhaps the Chunky mode might be best and they could of thrown one in the mix, using 1 word for each pixel. I don't know how much work that would of had to have been to the chipset. I know that the origional Amigas didn't come with much memory 256kb was not much but that would of been enough for slide shows, like they did with the HAM mode
I suspect that the reason chunky mode was not considered for AGA machines was because they basically added the AA graphics in as cheap and fast a manner as possible - just extend the current planar system by a further three planes. Same memory requirements as chunky 8bpp, very little extra silicon needed. Of course, then Doom came out but by that time the Amiga was dying off fast and nobody had either the inclination or the resources to implement a proper advanced graphics architecture.

Last edited by Dunny; 21 November 2017 at 00:41.

Page generated in 0.04420 seconds with 11 queries