View Single Post
Old 01 November 2017, 07:01   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Hi All, I'm new here.

Back in the day around 91/92 I used to do a bit of assembly on the Amiga. Well a few weeks ago I went up into the attic and found my old trusty A500 with my AR3 Cart and was amazed it still worked, I was surprised at how familiar I was with it so I kind of have the coding bite back again. Around the time of my coding days I mainly had aspirations to be a game developer but found myself doing demo/cracktro routines which was kinda cool at the time but didn't do much for my employment opportunities.

So here I am and I have my WinUAE setup perfectly and my Mayflash Joystick adapter all up and running and it is just like the old days. One thing I attempted to do back then was design/build a sprite driver routine. Now what I mean by this is not just how many sprites I can get on screen, I mean how many sprites I can get on screen but have full collision detection of arbitrary objects just like a running game would have - I found it particularly mind bending back in the day so I guess I just might not have been old/wise enough to do it.

That said, I want to try and resurrect the challenge so I've had a little think over a couple of hours and came up with some thoughts below around design of the Sprite definitions - it's really just a brain dump but I was wondering if the wheel had already been invented by someone else before I start coding that I could review? Any code I write I'm happy to share with the community. Any tips from seasoned devs are most welcome!!!

When I came across the forum I was looking for platformer games that hadn't been ported to the Amiga so the Rygar thread popped up which has been really fascinating to read, I've kind of had that game in my head as I wrote this as I loved it in the arcades (I even tried to port it myself to the GBA back in 2002 in ARM without success).

Here goes... starting with events that are found in a tile map which generate sprites. Imagine this being a world that a player can move around in / think Turrican, Robocod 2, Rygar etc

<SNIP QUOTE - No need to quote the whole post -- BippyM>
The line-of-sight bit may be the tricky part and I don't know of a generalized sprite engine.

You may have to use BOBs instead of sprites depending on the game since the sprite hardware can't produce more than 15 colors with 4 images across on the screen. Using all 8 sprites requires dropping them to 3 colors a piece and each pair has to share a palette even then. BOBs are the blitter-based sprites PC users are more familiar with and can use the whole palette at the cost of draw and undraw time.

Sent from my ODROID-XU3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by BippyM; 24 November 2017 at 15:10.

Page generated in 0.04379 seconds with 11 queries