Thread: Amiga Options
View Single Post
Old 30 October 2017, 20:35   #15
TrashyMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
What is your goal here? What do you want to do with the setup?

With the FPGA things you don't get the "real" experience (compared to original hardware), yet they are expensive and not particularly convenient (compared to UAE).

If I had to choose one of the "hardware imitation" options I'd take the Raspberry Pi 3 since it's cheap, but frankly, if used with a generic keyboard and mouse it's not going to be much different from just running emulation on a PC (or Mac or whatever). In my opinion it would at least need to be built into an Amiga case to be worthwhile.
Well the Apollo-Core project end goal is to a create modern Amiga compatible 68K processor with modern features (64-bit extensions, video decoding features, higher amount of instructions executed per clock cycle, 16-bit audio like the AAA chipset). From what I understand eventually they hope/want to make a true silicon ASIC that could be clocked at a much higher frequency than an FPGA. The Vampire Accelerator is a development tool which uses a subset of the Apollo Core to help develop this core, the end user just get a very fast Amiga experience as a byproduct.

If you guys just want to run existing Amiga stuff faster, then have at it with Emulation. The Apollo Team is attempting to making something new, which seems to be a sin to some of the people here.

Last edited by TrashyMG; 30 October 2017 at 20:40.

Page generated in 0.04291 seconds with 11 queries