View Single Post
Old 30 August 2017, 03:10   #175
TuRRIcaNEd
AKA Mr. Rhythm Master/AIS

Hi all,

So I've been talking to some folks over at Lemon and I can sort of see the "crazy dream" aspect of this.

I work as a coder these days (higher-level stuff obviously), but I've been trying to teach myself Amiga 68k in my downtime - I can just about code a working copperlist at this stage, so don't expect to much too soon! I was a bit young for 68k during my Amiga days, so I was sort of the graphics and sound guy for the little group of school friends who were trying to make stuff for our computers.

The Vampire/RTG port of the Cannonball code has been out a little while and while it's certainly a very impressive effort (especially for one person doing all the work), it's not really workable unless you have Vampire and RTG on your Amiga. Even with those, it's not fast enough to emulate the FM/PCM arcade sound, so the author of the port requested better MOD versions of the music than the tunes he'd found online. I'd spent the summer on "gardening leave" from work, so I fired up ProTracker in WinUAE and these are what I've come up with so far (Note : all are still technically beta versions, and Splash Wave is by far the least complete in terms of accuracy):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRRIcaNEd
Beta 4-ch ProTracker versions of all the OutRun tunes :
http://psychodelicacy.net/media/zip/...;beta_0_7].zip

Any feedback gratefully received!

[EDIT : For those unable to play MOD files, I've set up a Web-based player on my webspace here:

http://psychodelicacy.net/modplayer.php

Click "[load song]" to select a track. MSS = Magical Sound Shower, PB = Passing Breeze and SW = Splash Wave.

]
You'll note I'm being a bit lazy here and essentially copy/pasting my Lemon posts, so apologies for that.

Anyway, the original author of Cannonball also coded up some useful utilities for extracting arcade data, and this helped me to start doing stuff like this last year:

Quote:
Hehehe - I'm just messing around at the moment, really.

Speaking of messing around, I did a grab from the attract mode using MAME, then busted it down to 32 colours, converted to IFF and loaded it into DPaint via UAE just for shits and giggles :

It's not perfect, but it gives an idea of just how close you can get with 32 colours if the palette is right. It should also give the lie to the notion that the Amiga's overall palette couldn't keep up with the arcade's shades.

Now, I think this is intriguing - here's yer OutRun Testarossa in 8 colours (7 if you exclude the blue background). A clue as to what might just be possible with a bit of lateral thinking... Not too shabby, huh?

The BM and artic in 8 colours remapped :

Quote:
Testarossa 8 colour fix (palette entry 7 changes brakelight) :

EDIT :
So this is kind of where I am...

Page generated in 0.04327 seconds with 11 queries