View Single Post
Old 19 August 2003, 09:51   #37
Global Moderator

Originally posted by manicx
Another aspect that ST was preferred by people, was that it was much easier to do programming with it. Let's face it, we are talking about 198X! ST was much easier to do programming simply because you knew where you were standing. I used to love playing with assembly back then and I can assure you that when I moved to the Amiga, I was lost. What you could do on the ST on your own, you needed 2-3 people to do it on the Amiga. That's why most Amiga games were ST convertions. I believe that the Amiga was explored to full depth, 8-9 years after it was released.
There was only a short period where most Amiga games were poor ST conversions - after that period programmers got to grips with the computer. Remember that the ST also had a headstart on the Amiga, so ST programmers had started using the machine sooner than their Amiga counterparts. It is also possible that early programmers were treating the Amiga like an ST in their coding and that companies wanted to quickly get their ST back catalogue onto the new Commodore beast.

Most machines have the same sort of evolution - they are released; there is a period when programmers are learning how to use it; well-written games are then released; later the machine is pushed to its limits.

So, I wouldn't say that an Atari ST had the advantage of being easier to use...
Page generated in 0.05490 seconds with 9 queries