View Single Post
Old 20 July 2017, 00:54   #36
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Photon, what do you mean about 16 scanline skips?
In 2011, the scaler chips in LCD TVs mentioned became decent and standardized. Before that, results varied. You could get a blurry picture even on RGB Scart, you could get a sharp picture with doubled lines, or if the LCD resolution was lower than 800x600 (such as on smaller 4:3 TVs), you could get a sharp picture, but it would squash 320x256 to 4:3 and skip 16 scanlines - every nth line. It was just a bunch of different chips that did things differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Nice one!
One problem with the method though.
Not all versions of Deluxe Paint will draw a perfect square. Usually the tool will draw a Xpx by Xpx image, but if your screen is squished because it's NTSC, when it gets stretched, they will look tall.

I realized this while testing this same issue for a very troll-friendly thread here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82793
That chapter is for setting up 1:1 pixel aspect ratio on CRT displays. The article says to use the Grid or Coords tool to ensure that it's really square - in pixels - before whipping out the ruler.

I do go through graphics drawn on NTSC displays, and certainly all graphics drawn for PAL or square pixels will look stretched on NTSC - graphics drawn for square pixels slightly less so. Whether to draw specifically for NTSC CRT displays today is really up to the artist, but as I mention in the summary Amiga users will find a way

It's all a matter of practicality, and today it just has to be square pixels I think. I've had to abandon my fierce conviction that they should be PAL pixels on CRT only; I simply don't have as many arguments against square pixels as I have for PAL-squashed pillow-shaped ones.

Last edited by Photon; 20 July 2017 at 01:11.

Page generated in 0.04321 seconds with 11 queries