View Single Post
Old 01 July 2017, 21:08   #138
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
An ARM I/O processor could probably offload some of the 68k processing. The big work would be creating all the software drivers (half on ARM side and half on Amiga side). FPGA experts would probably be needed just to bring the board up with 68k+Amiga chip set and provide a drive of some kind.
One could probably reuse some code from AROS-hosted in an non-hosted way.
At least to start with, it would be enough if a linux-kernel takes care of the drives (sd-card, usb) and you can access them via a network-filesystem, that needs to be in ROM to allow booting.
That would probably offer even more performance than native drivers.

And you write that Amiga2linux filesystem once and can reuse it on any board with a FPGA/ARM combo.
Same for keyboard, mouse, other usb peripherals.

Later inexpensive arduino-shields for original joysticks, keyboards, floppies.

I am not sure about the display - writing to a linux frame buffer would eat up quite some bandwidth and performance I guess - so that should be native a soon a possible.

Quote:
I thought about trying to license the Apollo Core as well. I would need the license to include all HDL sources and perpetual unlimited modification and distribution rights for multiple devices. Perhaps MikeJ would be interested in creating a more practical and compatible 68k core with it if he could include it in his FPGA Arcade and the sources are not too much of a mess. I do like the idea of moving to a large FPGA where there is room for a 68k compatible FPU, at least a 128 bit wide SIMD unit (not sharing the integer register file so floating point could eventually be added), MMU with x86 PAE/ARM LPAE type support and multi-core support to work toward an eventual ASIC. I doubt I would receive as favorable of a license as the Vampire and it may be more cost effective to decap a 68060 and turn it into sythesizable HDL (costly and time consuming but the patents should all be expired).
I am clearly the wrong person to ask for a license as well

Sure - I am all in for a larger an faster FPGA, but available boards are much more expensive as soon as you go for something bigger.
Not sure how many people are willing to spend 1500€ or more.

Last edited by Gorf; 01 July 2017 at 21:33.

Page generated in 0.05062 seconds with 9 queries