View Single Post
Old 01 July 2017, 18:54   #129
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
It lacks MMU too, so... 68EC080 is the most correct. Most software than can deal with such also identify it as 68EC040, from what I have seen.
The Motorola "EC" designation lacks an MMU and FPU. The Apollo Core supposedly has an MPU (Memory Protection Unit) but lacks virtual addressing which is a requirement of a modern MMU. I was being conservative in calling it a 68LC080 (with MMU but no FPU) but it probably should be called a 68EC080 if using a Motorola like nomenclature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
There are full featured Cyclone 5 boards for around 100$ ...

My standalone candidate:
  • Cyclone V (110K LEs)
  • 1GB DDR3 SDRAM
  • 1 Gigabit Ethernet
  • USB
  • HDMI TX, compatible with DVI 1.0 and HDCP v1.4
  • Three 50MHz clock sources from the clock generator
  • Two 40-pin expansion headers
  • One Arduino expansion header (Uno R3 compatibility), can be connected with Arduino shields
  • One 10-pin Analog input expansion header (shared with Arduino Analog input)
  • A/D converter, 4-pin SPI interface with FPGA
Here for just 130$!

And it got a 800MHz Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor on board:
Use it as coprocessor to watch videos, or to run a full blown web-browser.
Or use ist as FPU-Coprozessor...

So how much is a license of the apollo-core?
Too much if you have to ask .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
I am suggesting this board for real.
I am quite sure if I would order 100+ I would qualify for the "education" price of $99.
So how difficult would it be to adapt the apollo-core for that?
I assume it would have to talk to the ARM side for USB and network and probably use the display-buffer of it as well ... but that would save LEs in the end.

Maybe someone (other than me) could ask Gunnar about it?
You would probably end up needing specialized drivers on the ARM side and there would be latencies introduced from data movement and copying in some cases. It depends on the interface between the ARM and FPGA. Gunnar has looked at such setups before and has probably used such boards (including much higher end ones). Chris designed a sandwich board which mated with a standalone FPGA board to create an accelerator. Gunnar thought he could use the caches from one of the ARM boards as Apollo Core caches as well. The features and price are nice with some of these boards but there is significant work configuring them to your purpose and then you don't control availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_skroht View Post
With the cyber-hacking apocalypse nearly upon us as a result of an influx of ransomware in recent weeks I'd say one could ride out the storm by safely browsing he internet with a Vampire equipped Amiga. Just another suggestion. Reminds me of a movie where they had to build an old-tech analogue bomb when all other digital equipment had failed. What was that movie? Godzilla? Hope someone can further develop web browsers for Vampired Amiga.
Security through obscurity works. Part of the problem with modern 68k web browsers is they are slow. Many use an FPU so it will be interesting to see how the Vampire softFPU performs with something like the "official" 68k Amiga NetSurf.

Last edited by matthey; 01 July 2017 at 19:00.

Page generated in 0.06148 seconds with 9 queries