View Single Post
Old 29 June 2017, 14:49   #212
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashyMG View Post
@meynaf:
From what I picked up on IRC, some device drivers (IDE, SD.. etc) which will reside on the vampire kickstart are being written to take advantage of the hyperthreading.
At first I couldn't see the point of this at all - but the more I think about it, the more I can see the possibilities. Think of the second thread less as a second CPU for multiprocessing as we normally think of it, and more as a general purpose co-processor.

The IDE driver can use it to service IDE requests which would be the next best thing to true DMA support (assuming that's not already present?), the graphics driver could use it to provide blitter-like functions in software, WriteChunkyPixels() could be patched to use it. I'm sure there are plenty of other possible uses too. AHI driver that offloads channel mixing, perhaps?

Even if the OS never gets the requisite multiprocessing support for user applications to benefit, and even if no user-level apps are written to take advantage of it, it could still prove very worthwhile.

Page generated in 0.05941 seconds with 9 queries