View Single Post
Old 29 June 2017, 13:47   #205
meynaf
68k wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Well, if applications are written to support it, the useless statement doesnt apply I gather.
True, but that's IF applications are written to support it, which is very iffy.

Quote:
Thats obviously assuming developers are intrested in advancing the Apollo perspective.
But are they ?

Quote:
As far as OS goes; how about AROS?
By how much is AROS slower than regular AOS ? Compare that to the potential of hyperthreading, which can not by construction be better than 2x.
And Amiga mostly depends on single threaded performance anyway.

Quote:
As a non coder Im intrested in posts that goes into details, even tho I dont comprehend the deep details.
Simply saying its useless isnt helpful, just like e penguins post.
AmigaOS is designed in such a way that makes this kind of addition basically not usable. It's like running old DOS programs on a multicore cpu : no benefit at all.

Quote:
And IF you decide to accomodate my query, could you expand the discussion to encompass the usefulness IF developers decide to support hyperthreading and SoftFPU. (Aos and aros).
Developers won't support that.
This is where the team completely misses the point - they need extra work from developers where they should instead have made their life easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
Why? According to the Apollo team it was easy to do, took almost no additional FPGA space, allows to speed up at least the Vampire drivers. Looks good to me.
No doubt it was easy to do, but with current Amiga architecture, it simply can't be used for anything but a handful programs.

Page generated in 0.07240 seconds with 9 queries