View Single Post
Old 07 June 2017, 20:11   #116
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
I think some people just need to accept that the Vampire/apollo core isn't for them and move on.

Pissed off about it?

Go join up with other like minded souls and build something better, after all, competition is good isn't it?
It is highly beneficial to have one good and generally accepted standard moving forward and toward a goal. A-Eon/AmigaKit is endorsing the Apollo Core way as the standard by their press release statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://amigakit.com/news/News_Release_Apollo_Accelerators.pdf
The new accelerator is powered by the Apollo/68080 Core which is the natural and modern evolution of latest 680x0 processors. It's 100% code compatible, corrects bugs of 680x0 designs and adds on top most of the cool features which were invented the years after.
The Apollo Core ISA is unlikely to be adopted by any other 68k CPU cores and limits future choices, especially in an ASIC. It was created by one man with little evaluation yet the press release also mentions working together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://amigakit.com/news/News_Release_Apollo_Accelerators.pdf
Gunnar van Boehn of Apollo Team commented: "Lets work together to bring 68K and AMIGA back!”
Gunnar's idea of working together is him making the decisions by himself and everyone supporting him without question. Is this the position of A-Eon/AmigaKit or do they want to put a real development team together like the Amiga used to have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Say what you like about Gunnar, but do you see him on these pages returning the insults from matthey?
Gunnar should see the truth about his modus operandi as constructive criticism instead of an insult. A group of diverse and knowledgeable people should give a safety check to decisions (I find it invaluable) but he bypassed this when he took complete control and created an authoritarian top down structure instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
you are referring to kev who obviously went ballistic about just everything? i have an impression that this outbursts had to hide the actual lack of competence and arguments than other way around. around people who actually do real work none behaves like that. no matter if gunnars every design decision is right or wrong, if i was him i wouldnt tolerate guys like that rageing my forums or ircs.
I was referring to grond and wysiwyg (the user's first 17 posts were in this locked thread which makes it look like an account created for trolling). These two pro Apollo Core guys were far more insulting than anything said by kev or me even though kev could have remained cooler and more diplomatic. Feel free to review the thread and decide who should have received moderator attention for personal attacks and creating a trolling account.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87295

Quote:
what about that alternative core proposal? why not post a link to this if it is on internet anyway. is there a possibility to contribute to it? if this is a real thing, why keep it secret?
There is no alternative core project at this point. There is only a potential resource to help make a 68060 like core. It's very interesting and I'm still investigating.

Quote:
im not sure it would be a good thing. aeon has apparently no technical expertise themselves. the technical choices they made with every hardware they are proposing look at least suboptimal. as if they were made with some other audience in mind than amiga(ng) scene. wonder what they input might be. money?
Every business goal is to make money and their very existence depends on it. What A-Eon lacks in technical expertise they could make up for by adding directors, hiring employees and partnering with other businesses. They could learn from past mistakes like the Tabor where lack of following standards (standard PPC FPU) has likely cost them (includes Hyperion) hundreds of hours of development expense and lowered the performance, compatibility and value of their product. The advantage of vertical integration with a 68k core is that they could take control of the standards and customize as needed. You lose this advantage with just partnering with an individual who is making poor ISA and design decisions which do not have synergies with your products and goals.

Quote:
seriously? you propose hyperion as tech savy? after their track of record? you know, that there was contact between hyperion and apollo team and it failed, because they just wanted to cash up without delivering anything in return?
I'm not sure Hyperion controls their own destiny or is even under the same management they were before the whole bankruptcy incident. Their financial situation seems to have improved and their relationship with A-Eon seems to have grown since though .

Quote:
also, there were contacts between gunnar and jens on a1k. jens criticised the project in every aspect, spreading assumptions that the core is not even 68k compatible, just emulating 68k and such. gunnar openly proposed cooperation. never come to that, which is not surprising, considering differences in conceptions and product offerings.
I am aware of Jens doubting Gunnar's project. Creating a 68k core is a very complex project so there was good reason to doubt. Credit to Gunnar for persevering (his obsessions are both a blessing and a curse) and getting it working so well. Now it needs changes to fix where his obsessions steered him wrong.

Quote:
in conclusion, with your proposed alliance we would simply have more people to the table who want to have their peace of cake. it already starts to take course anyway, with resellers stepping in. i wonder what advantages will arise of it.
Resellers offer value with support and AmigaKit/A-Eon is charging a reasonable markup. It looks like there is another project where the alliance is much more than as a reseller though. Perhaps the project includes AmigaOS 68k development and an iComp accelerator or Clone-A with FPGA Apollo Core CPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
@matthey

I saw your discussions with gunnar on apollo forum until you were removed. You did not ask or giving ideas, you requested him to do what you want. Then you talked about your investors you would bring in if he does what you want. You have nothing to request (the same is true for kolla), you have not given any money, you (and kolla) are not even owning vampire. You do not like Gunnar, you do not even like his project, his design decisions and you do not like Aros but still you pop up in every related thread to inform everyone that you do not like it. I will tell you a well hidden secret.. we know it already. Funny, you ask for a standardization commitee, who will force gunnar later to do what this commitee decides? Simply forget it. The majority of real vampire users seem to be very happy with what they get and for amiga project it is a real big success. Who not wants it not needs to buy it.
I was asked to join the Apollo Team by Gunnar and I was never removed from the Apollo Team or forum. I left after Meynaf when it became pointless for me to be there any longer. I would be happy to send you the private e-mails where Gunnar asked me to join originally and return if you are willing to keep them private. I do like Gunnar but I recognize his flaws and when he sabotages his own project (Does a parent who lets their child do anything they want love their child the most?). We actually worked together very well until he decided to take a left turn with the project and head in another direction by himself. I miss the Natami days when we had constructive forum discussions where Gunnar was not in complete control. Contacting the potential embedded/ASIC partner and mentioning investors and creating a business didn't get much enthusiasm, maybe because it threatened his control?

I have allowed some of my code to be included in AROS which is kind of odd for something I don't like. I support the concept of AROS but the implementation is a little harder to love, at least on the 68k. Give me the choice of AROS or a developed 68k AmigaOS and I will choose the latter every time but I don't think I'm alone.

Last edited by matthey; 07 June 2017 at 20:16.

Page generated in 0.11567 seconds with 9 queries