View Single Post
Old 12 August 2003, 04:02   #30
Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
But the difference is that the processor on the Amiga would not be bogged down by every task passing through like with the PC. The custom chips allowed the other tasks to be parted out, leaving the CPU free for such operations without having the bottleneck the PC has to deal with.

I think your personal preference in gaming is skewing your perspective here. I always loved "cutesy platform games", as did all of my friends. None of us were 'children', we just preferred a different genre of gaming than the more serious (too serious, IMHO) gamers. By your rationale, all players of RPGs were AD&D geeks, strategy games were only played by nerds, etc. Likewise, players of the games you mentioned are not neccessarily more "mature" simply because you liked them. Oh, and Gods is considered a platform beat-em-up, so it belongs in the nursery with Nicky Boom.

I think you are overstating the platform games for the Amiga.

In 1994, there were almost 500 games released for the Amiga. Platformers ranked in that queue at about 64 (excluding duplications for multi-hardware releases). Many of those 64 some odd games were mere CD32 or AGA versions of older games.
The total number of 1995 platformers, according to HOL, is 29 (three are dupes and another was unreleased, so that number is actually more like 25). HOL's number for total games published in 1995 comes in at 264. Even once that number has been reduced to actual titles, the contrast is nowhere near the scenario of your speculation, which appears to have been derived from your disdain for the genre.

At the end of the day, the influx of cutesy platformers did not kill the Amiga. Sorry.

As Cody has already pointed out, a PC games site is a terrible resource for Amiga game stats. About like trusting Computer Gaming World for honest Amiga charts...
I knew mobygames would not have the majority of amiga games released, but it would show a trend on the releases by year.
Page generated in 0.05574 seconds with 9 queries