View Single Post
Old 14 May 2017, 04:05   #22
Kalamatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiwolf View Post
My contribution to the kickstart bounty wawa mentioned wasn't much but hey, every bit helps yeah? Got the impression Toni didn't enjoy the experience that much though I guess deadlines are never fun. Motivation for any Amiga developer is more than just money, I think.
While I cant comment on Toni's experience/enjoyment - Your comment on deadlines and motivations hits the nail on the head for me.

You have to keep in mind, that most of the developers in the "AmigaOS" community are not professionals despite what they might think (and that's not saying there aren't any in the community - since there are of course some amazing people out there across all the platforms). For many coding/AmigaOS/AROS is a hobby, so having to work to a deadline is definitely something that doesn't appeal right off the bat. And lets be realistic, the sums of money aren't massive by any means considering the work that can be involved in some cases - certainly nothing to what a real professional coder can make.

Which leads onto motivation - obviously depending on your confidence/interest the previously mentioned things will heavily affect your motivation. Most of the bounties that have been done have been completed because the sums involved have reached a point where capable devs, who are somewhat interested, have their curiosity peaked. The other case is the dev was interested/wanted to see that "goal" implemented anyhow so just took the bounty along the way, or did it as a friendly gesture =)

As someone who has done some of the bounties, and watched/listened to what goes on for a number years - my observations/recomendations would be -:

# Some of the bounties are not properly thought through/discussed prior to being made a bounty. The goals may be unrealistic or at odds with what the devs actualy want to achieve - or set too many constraints. This is something we try to avoid but some people insist on making a bounty even when told it wont get done, and others will also donate to it.

# Many of the bounties would be more achievable/likely to get done if they where broken into smaller units of work with clearer goals. Sometimes people expect too much, or don't realise that if one person does some of the work, another is likely to finish the bits they can handle/do.

# Even though the bounties should be in as small a unit of functional work as possible - there needs to be some scope to work on a few of them as a larger "bounty"

To help explain - imagine we have some bounty for e.g. a new tcp stack, but could also do some of the parts of it as individual bounties (such as adding ipv6 support). Some people may want to just donate to see those parts achieved (ipv6), others may want to donate to see the "whole" thing (complete stack) completed -: so it should be possible to donate to the larger project or the individual parts.

If someone takes the "larger" bounty, they would then also get the sub bounties in the process - but if someone was to take on the sub bounties the money for the "larger" bounty should also be proportionally assigned to the part the work they have done, which they should receive on completion of their part. Anyone taking on the larger bounty when the smaller parts are already being worked on must be made aware that they would not get the total sum - but the amount less the work done in the "sub" bounty.

Page generated in 0.05335 seconds with 9 queries