View Single Post
Old 11 May 2017, 12:20   #224
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I booted OS4.1 no S-S on the CSPPC and avail said something like 135MB total and 105MB free. So 30 megs to boot to no S-S, that's a lot more than I was expecting. So how about we say percentage of RAM to boot versus what's likely configured in the system. OS4.1 I assume the standard configuration is something like 512MB, so 70MB is 13%. I don't count OS4.1 on CSPPC as the standard target system of OS 4.1.
as i told you

Quote:
Compare away how much RAM is used booting WB1.3 in a base A500.
In my OS3.9 machines it's about 10MB with ClassicWB and lets guess that standard configuration is 128MB, so 7%. But others would say no that's crap, standard configuration is 16MB+2MB Chip, which would say 62% of all RAM used just to boot.
do you want all the additional features aros delivers for free? i mean, an os with function extent exceeding that of os4 but requiring as much space as kickstart 1.3? is that your reasoning? according to what you write yourself aros is already more memory efficient than os3.9 delivering more functionality. and it might be even improvesd, it is open, you know..

Quote:
So AROS' memory consumption is either completely excessive or pretty reasonable, depending on how you look at it. I assume the standard fork of AROS is x86 which would be what, something like 2GB of RAM for 32-bit?
completely excessive.. maybe by some convoluted logic one could wrap to just to justify some prejudice one is not ready to admit.

x86 is not an "aros fork" it is the same platform and the result of the same development as amiga-m68k or arm, or x64 targets. x64 built from the same sources has smp and i cant even tell the limit of memory it can address, being 64 bit system. people run it on more than 16gb machines for what i know, even if i think it waste of power. dont you think it is extremly flexible for a system to support that wide a range of hardware from 30 years old, to fastest and biggest you can get today on consumer market?

another issue, people sometimes complain about is that aros68k boot iso is 20mb. that seems much to them. funny enogh half of it are ttf outline fonts, you can safely delete. then you are left with a system that is about a size of your 3.x distribution, whether it came on floppies or on cd.

Last edited by wawa; 11 May 2017 at 14:13.

Page generated in 0.06082 seconds with 9 queries