View Single Post
Old 10 May 2017, 21:05   #35
michaelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Including the management at the time!

I guess the problem was that the visionaries and innovators were not high enough up in C=. What if a Jay Miner or a Chuck Peddle had been given more control? Did they understand economics and finance enough to be effective? How much was luck or the invisible hand a factor? Was C= just lucky in obtaining incredible talent and unlucky in squandering it? Are Amiga visionaries and talent still being squandered today?
Hm, well if we're going to speculate; I think Commodore would have gone the way of the dodo anyway. Commodore began as a typewriting company, and only entered the computer market because Tramiel was afraid of the Japanese strong competition. This is why Commodore entered the calculator business and as a result into the computer business.

MOS was bought because Commodore was afraid they could be cut of from their CPU source and Amiga was bought later on because they could not innovate enough themselves.

Just plain simple, Commodore placed sales first, innovation came only when they were afraid to lose their income. This is a too slow reaction to the very fast market of the home computer industry. There is no dishonour though, don't forget the home computer industry was very fast paced at that time, especially when you look at the market where Commodore started.

If a more creative or technical person would have had more control, they would still not go any other road, unless that person would have been firmly at the helm of the company. That might have changed some things, but "geeks" where not really seen as business men to get to that level I guess.

Page generated in 0.04878 seconds with 9 queries