View Single Post
Old 10 May 2017, 15:45   #1
Bloodwych

Installing ClassicWB UAE - slower Hard Disk Emulation

I know I'm not around on the forums much these days, but I thought I'd report this as was setting up a friends laptop with ClassicWB UAE as he wanted to play some old games with his son.

I've been experimenting with different WinUAE versions and noticed that there is a dramatic drop in speed using the hard drive folder emulation.

It became so apparent as I updated the ClassicWB UAE pack to the latest WinUAE version 3.4.0 - the install time for the pack went up by a huge amount when running the scripts that write to the Hard Drive and mounted PC directories. I decided to include 3.2.0 in the UAE pack as a compromise as the speed is still acceptable.

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/uae.htm

Going back to 2.8.1 restored full emulated hard drive speed. When performing small writes (like updating all file properties to -RWED for example) this version takes a few seconds.

Then each version after this gets progressively slower, with the biggest difference being between 3.2.0 and all later versions. Goes from from seconds to minutes).

Not sure if normal HDF emulation is affected or just certain writes to mounted PC folders.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (9.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Bloodwych; 10 May 2017 at 18:25.
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.05126 seconds with 10 queries