View Single Post
Old 24 April 2017, 04:27   #34
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I still have two DraCos, a cube one and a tower one, at home. So information for me is not scarce.

I also had an Elbox Zorro IV busboard way back, which I sold for some quick bucks.

It is not 1MB/s extra in the Zorro II slots, you get much more than that if the card can take advantage of that bandwith. There is no Zorro III on the DraCo, there is a much better bus interface called DraCo Direct 32 which is much faster than ZIII and has less hardware requirements but uses the same form factor and also has autoconfig.

BBoAH is not accurate in many things, but at least it is a good starting point to get an overview of Amiga hardware.

The point is, that there are many Zorro cards already in the market that can take advantage of faster bus interface speeds, and there have been a few backplane implementations where those cards, outperform traditional Amigas. So implementing a faster FPGA reimplementation is not a useless endeavour.
I don't think it is a useless endeavor at all. I think there are a few possible ways to go about it but I think some plan that involves making a faster PCI bus would be the way it should go. It's a big project if the goal is to get another 10MB/s out of Zorro-III then that's great and everything but aiming a lot higher like another 50MB/s would be more worthwhile since the end product is going to be expensive any way you go about it.

Does anyone think it's going to be as simple as dropping PLCC adapter+board in the Buster socket and getting a Picasso-IV to run at 50MB/s?

I'd very much like to see a bustest of the faster Zorro-II modes. I don't know where someone has shown that a faster Zorro-III implementation works and still allows backwards compatibility as others have mentioned as a concern.

DracoDirect32 seems to use the same sockets but it's completely different as it would require the Accelerator interface (remember we're talking about A3000s and A4000s) to support it and probably the pinout of the busboard sockets.

But lets be reasonable, you're not really suggesting implementing DracoDirect32, it's just an example of how someone designed a nice fast bus on an Amiga clone when they were designing a whole motherboard and system to support it.

We do have the Phase5 GRex example as rare and expensive as it is, which roughly doubled Zorro-III speeds, something like that but not tied to a specific accelerator would be a good idea.

Page generated in 0.08970 seconds with 9 queries