View Single Post
Old 20 April 2017, 00:34   #69
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Ok i'm probably missing something but I really dont see how what you describe relates to investing in the original AmigaOS. I thought that this thread was about that. IMHO if you invest in Amiga you'll never get your money back. But thats just an opinion.
My point was that donating money to open the AmigaOS sources or components isn't going to change much without a plan for new affordable hardware which can attract outside people. The retro gaming angle for hardware is one way to do that and might attract more investors, at least me. High risk is much better than guaranteed no return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
My dueling banjos video has made less than $1 of ad revenue. Which considering it took me 2-3 hours to setup and shoot is well below minimum wage. My TF530 card was between 1-2000 hours of work. If i was serious about making money on this project the cards would need to sell for 150-200 GBP per card. Which wouldn't be viable.
The Amiga market has been neglected for a long time but there is still interest. How much advertising or promoting have you done for your videos? It is interesting that your dueling banjos has the most views considering it is fun and not really useful (it does attract Amiga and Atari ST people which shows the value of cross platform retro appeal). The Natami bringup thread is really the biggest indicator to me of Amiga hardware interest as the number of views was without advertising or promotion and the price was thought to be too high for most customers. The Natami motherboard could have been cost reduced and mass produced though. Your accelerator is cheap and simple for small production runs in a small market. Competition and requiring an old computer probably limit any chances of mass production and limit how much money could have been made. It is necessary to attract retro computer/console customers outside of current Amiga customers to make affordable and profitable hardware.

Page generated in 0.05747 seconds with 9 queries